What is the brief overview of what we do?
Our Melbourne kitchen design and consultation service is for hospitality businesses who plan to enhance an existing space or build a new one entirely, creating a functional, efficient kitchen or bar.
They are typically owners of either franchises, restaurants, hotels or cafés. They are looking for functionality, the latest technology and an innovative kitchen design solution to their requirements. The design changes they seek are to generally raise their brand profile, productivity in the kitchen and overall improvement to customer experience, utilising their kitchen and/or bar.
Occasionally our customers have very bespoke commercial kitchen design requirements and we are happy to assist them in the sometimes complicated navigation to completion of design. We have found, after building thousands of commercial kitchens, that a properly thought out design in the beginning of the process can save thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of dollars later on. This is the critical yet often overlooked part and we are happy to support any company who want to get it right the first time.
Who is the commercial kitchen design / consultation for?
You would typically be the owner of franchises, restaurants, hotels or cafés.
Who is this kitchen design service not suitable for?
If you want just a quick fix, Mariljohn is probably not for you! We offer a complete commercial kitchen solution at a completive price, and we build long-term relationships with our clients. We pay attention to the design upfront to minimise costs and potential hiccups, and to explore all possible opportunities for enhanced functionality. We are not in the business of providing substandard service or unreliable equipment that might save you pennies at first, but will cost you many dollars to repair or replace later on.
What to expect
Established in 1982 we pride ourselves on having design experience, not just theory. We have seen what works and what doesn’t. We like to look to the future of kitchen design, and work from that perspective. This way your design does not become obsolete, but in fact maintains its high quality as your company grows.
Our commercial kitchen designs and bar designs pay close attention to:
- Staffing costs
- Energy efficiency
- Utilisation of space for maximum output of food and space for restaurant (and to please the eye!)
- Coming in at budget that makes sense for the investment
- Highlighting the critical areas for investment for maximum return on your business with your kitchen
- Enjoying the process along the way and completing the project on time
How long does the process take?
Typically this process can be arranged depending on your needs. At Mariljohn, we have served some of the largest hotels and franchises, and the trendiest local cafés. It really depends on your needs.
Here is an average timeframe:
- Discovery meeting to initial concept design: 2 weeks
- Once initial design is approved, hard design completed within 1 week
- Formalised budget costing completed within a week after hard design
- Total average time is 2-4 weeks, although each client is different and we can give you an idea during the first meeting
What makes us different?
Mariljohn is a family-run business. We love what we do! We enjoy having clients for life and revel in seeing their business thrive. What makes us really unique?
- Our commercial kitchen designers can take your design all the way to construction. We not only design it but also use our own in-house capabilities to see your project to full fit-out completion. We are with you the entire way from start to finish. This saves you time and creates massive cost savings on kitchen design in Melbourne, which we pass on to you.
- We are involved in our local community and love to give back. For us, kitchens are about bringing people together
What is the value of getting a design before construction?
The biggest mistake that business owners make is not going through a proper design process before beginning construction. They try to save money on the design work, although in the end it costs them more. A little pre-planning with an expert can go a long way to a productive future. Mapping out a concept on paper will save you money later on, and also allow you to run different scenarios to determine what design features most matter to you.
Can I do this even after the build has started?
Of course we can still work with you if the build has started. By assessing current conditions of the build, recommendations can still be made and design aspects met before construction continues further.
If your kitchen is totally complete, we can assess the current layout, and using the infrastructure provided, recommend specific reconfiguration of the existing space to harness efficiency where it is not being met.
Who are the consultants?
Depending on your needs, we have a range of different designers who will at times collaborate with each other to best serve you. Each of them has designed hundreds of kitchens.
How do I get started?
Step 1) Connect with Mariljohn online or via phone
Step 2) You’ll be contacted by a Mariljohn Design Expert for a discovery meeting
Step 3) Discovery meeting to take place
Step 4) We send a proposal based on your specific needs
Step 5) We engage